MENU

January 12, 2014

Coconut & Dried Prune Candies - Olho de Sogra


Children's birthday parties in Brazil are always filled with delicious sweets treats, which we call docinhos - but don't fool yourself, adults like them as much as children, if not more. Most of them are made with sweetened condensed milk mixed with chocolate, fruits, nuts, and decorated with sprinkles, sugar, or nuts. Sweetened condensed milk has a special place in Brazilian culinary, I can say with no hesitation that all Brazilian homes have cans of condensed milk in their pantries.


Lately, I've been seen a lot of Brazilian candies recipes on the internet using new techniques and giving them new names, I don't like that, I like to make them the traditional way. Brazilian candies bring me fond memories of my childhood, and I like to make them the way I learned from my mother.
Like most docinhos Olho de Sogra, dried prunes with sweet coconut filling, is yummy and easy to make.


Olho de Sogra

♥ 1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 cup unsweetened flaked coconut
♥ 1 tablespoon of  salted butter + more for buttering a plate
2 egg yolks
♥ dried pitless prunes
♥ crystal sugar for coating the candies

In a medium-size heavy saucepan, combine condensed milk, coconut flakes, butter and egg yolks over medium-low heat. Stir constantly with a wooden spoon until the mixture is ticker and you can  'see' the bottom of the saucepan, +/- 20 minutes. Remove from heat immediately and pour into a buttered plate. Let cool to room temperature. Some people like to refrigerate them to make rolling easier.

Lightly butter your palm hands, scoop out the mixture with a teaspoon and roll it. Choose the moisted prunes and cut them in half without separating the two halves, fill them with the coconut mixture, roll them in crystal sugar, and place in small paper candy cups.

These small cups are very popular in Brazil and some even come with paper liners to line the cups, making the dessert table even prettier. I bought these ones online at Sugarcraft.

12 comments :

  1. Oh my..., I don't even remember the last time I had these sweets. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. Dear Ayda, it is so good to see you here. You are one of the special people I've found through blogging, and it makes me very happy that we are still connected.

      Delete
  3. Found your blog through Ayda's blog cafenohut :) Love your inspiring photos. Good luck on your new blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Ahu, thank you for the best wishes to this new blog. I know already through Flickr and I do appreciate your style and inspiring photos, and it is good that now I can follow you through Pinterest as well.
      ps.: Ayda is a very dear friend, and I'm glad that you found my blog through hers.

      Delete
  4. Regina, que bom te ver!!Adoro esses doces e são típicos daqui mesmo! beijos tuuuuuuuuuudo de bom,chica

    ReplyDelete
  5. Em Portugal chamam-se brigadeiro.. A mistura do leite condensado com os restantes ingredientes vão a cozer num tacho ao lume. Certo? O meu inglês não é o melhor.. sorry! Pela imagens não percebo o que é a parte amarela...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isa, a parte amarela leva leite condensado, coco ralado, manteiga e gemas (para dar uma corzinha), a parte escura é ameixa seca, que hoje em dia algumas pessoas substituem por tâmaras e/ou damascos.

      Delete
  6. Que bom que voce avisou sobre o novo blog! Suas fotos estao lindas e os trabalhos tambem, como sempre. Espero que sua irma se recupere bem. beijo
    Virginia Costa
    http://virginiacgaleria.blogspot.com.br/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Virginia, como vai você?
      Muito obrigada pelos desejos de saúde para a minha irmã e pelo carinho que suas palavras me trazem.
      Um grande abraço, e uma semana abençoada pra você.

      Delete