MENU

February 15, 2014

Brazilian Chocolate Truffle - Brigadeiro

This is my version of my favorite candy - Brigadeiro, an incredibly delicious and easy to make sweet treat. The first time I ever cooked in my life I made Brigadeiro, I was only thirteen. I don't know anyone in Brazil who does not like them.


Traditionally Brigadeiro is made using only three ingredients, but lately I have seen recipes online using ingredients I would never dare to use to make it. Well, I'm going to keep making Brigadeiro the way I learned from my mother. I think is the simplicity of this recipe that makes it so special.

Brigadeiro
Makes about 35 candies

 1 1/2 tablespoon cocoa powder
 1 can of sweetened condensed milk
 1 tablespoon of salted butter
♥ lots of chocolate sprinkles

Mix the condensed milk, chocolate and butter in a saucepan and cook over medium-low heat stirring constantly until the mixture becomes thick and shiny and starts to pull away from the bottom and sides of the pan. Remove from the heat and immediately pour the mixture into a plate greased with butter. The mixture needs to be cooled off completely before being rolled into small balls. It can be cooled off at room temperature, but a good trick is to refrigerate it for about one hour to make rolling easier. 

Place the sprinkles in a shallow bowl. Lightly rub some softened butter on your palm hands, and using a teaspoon scoop out the chocolate mixture and roll it into small balls between your palms.  Coat each ball with chocolate sprinkles and place them in small paper candy cups like the ones found here.


Brigadeiro should be rolled solely in good quality chocolate sprinkles, but as I made this batch for Valentine's Day, just for fun I rolled one in colorful non-chocolate sprinkles.

Looking for more delicious sweet treats? You can find it here.

20 comments :

  1. Quem não adora esses docinhos? E as crianças? Lambem os dedos,rs bjs, chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Chica, muito calor por aí? Aqui estamos congelando!!!

      Pois eu me sinto criança novamente qdo faço Brigadeiro - bom demais!

      Beijos

      Delete
  2. A wonderful treat and speciality!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rosa, yes it is a wonderful and very easy to make Brazilian sweet treat.

      Have a great week.

      Delete
  3. It looks delicious, I want to try this great recipe as soon as but firstly I should find a condensed milk! it is difficult to find it in Turkey :( And your images are simply gorgeous...
    (I'll send you an email asap.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi dear Ayda, if you don't find condensed milk in Turkey, and if you ever visit America, I promise I'll make delicious sweet treats for you.

      Beijos

      Delete
  4. Hello Regina, thank you for your visit:) beautiful pictures! kisses from Poland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to have you here, and I hope you come back again :)

      Delete
  5. Ciao Regina, here I am, and what a lovely blog and beautiful photos!

    Ciao
    Alessandra

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovely blog Regina!! I adore brigadeiros! Thank you for the recipe and also thank you for the e-mail. Your photos are lovely with perfect light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Angela, it is so good to have you here.

      Beijos

      Delete
  7. I never made a homemade candy before, your looks just divine. Thank you for sharing this amazing recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for visiting. Your blog is an inspiration to me.

      Delete
  8. Hello Regina,
    What a joy to meet you!
    As you can see I have returned the visit. Your blog, your sweet, your work ... it's all so beautiful, intimate and familiar. One senses immediately that what you do you do it with love, and that to me is a big plus.
    I will follow with great pleasure, we share many passions: D...
    A warm greeting from Rome.
    Emanuela

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Emanuela, it's very nice to have you here in my humble blog.
      I agree with you, through your blog I can see we share many passions, and it's nice to meet kindred spirits :)
      Have a happy and blessed weekend.

      Delete
  9. Oi Regina, bom ler suas postagens novamente e saber que sua irmã está bem, tudo isto brindado com Brigadeiros, eh delícia!!!

    Beijos e ótimo final de semana.


    Audeni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Olá Audeni, como vai você?

      Que bom tê-la por aqui, e que bom ler seu comentário.

      Nunca me esqueço de você, e de todo carinho que vem de você.

      Um grande abraço, e tudo de muito bom pra você.

      Delete
  10. Hi Regina, is it normal after take out from refrigerator brigadeiro will soften in room temperature?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello 'Anonymous' , I wish I knew who you are so I can be sure you'll get my answer.

      It''s a good idea to refrigerate it for about one hour, or less, just to make rolling easier, but to a point to eat it with a spoon. You know Brigadeiro is ready when you start seeing the bottom of the pan.
      I hope this answer your question.

      Delete