MENU

March 9, 2014

DIY Painting on Porcelain

I've seen so many beautiful diy to personalize plain porcelain dishes I felt I wanted to give it a try. According to these tutorials you can write, doodle,or draw on porcelain dishes to customize them. Some of these tutorials recommends porcelain markers, others sharpie permanent markers, because I have some many sharpies at home I decide to try the sharpie method.


Here's is how this method works: draw on the dish surface and bake it for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Make sure to place it on a cool oven, then turn on the heat. After 30 minutes, turn off the oven and let it cool before removing the dish. 
If you make any mistakes while drawing, just wipe it off  with some glass cleaner or acetone (I used acetone).


I have to confess, my drawing skills, if I have any, are not that good, so instead of drawing on freehand I used pretty adhesive stencils I found at Michaels, but I like so much this diy that I want to try it again, and next time I'm going to draw, or doodle my own design to personalize some dishes.


These technique can be applied to porcelain plates, vases, mugs, teapots, and so on, but as Sharpies are not non-toxic markers do not use this technique on dishes that will come in contact with food, and remember that these dishes should be washed by hand only and avoiding abrasive detergents.

Another thing, these pictures were taking before I baked the dishes, as I was trying to take advantage of some light we had this morning, but after I baked them the colors faded a little bit, so next time I try this diy I'll use pebeo porcelain marker which is said not to fade.


I had this little embossed vase and I had the idea of painting the embossing with the markers. I like the result, I think it looks cute.


If you decide to try this technique to create something unique and cute, I hope you have as much fun as I had. Have a great week 

20 comments :

  1. This is absolutely so beautiful. I tried painting a few porcelain a couple weeks ago but yours looks much more cute...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt that Ayda, everything you make looks so adorable, but thank you for the sweet comment.
      Have a very nice week dear Ayda.

      Delete
  2. These are the most adorable things! So precious and they all remind me of spring, which is trying to make its appearance in my city. I love your hand painted decorations.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you my dear, your sweet comment puts a smile on my face :)

      Delete
  3. Oh, my, achei tudo tão lindo e delicado! O vasinho e os pratos ficaram encantadores. Acho que o fato de as cores ficarem mais esmaecidas após a secagem no forno até deixa o desenho mais meigos, rsrs.

    Um beijo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ... e a gente sempre pode pintar de novo, né? rsrsrs

      Um grande abraço Marly e um ótimo final de semana pra você.

      Delete
  4. Que coisas mais lindas... Apaixonei!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada Bila.
      Tenha um ótimo final de semana.

      Delete
  5. Absolutely lovely, it is wonderful project I will ask my daughter to to something like that with her-)) Thank you for inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Yelena. It's always a great pleasure to have you here and to read your comments.

      Have a blessed week.

      Delete
  6. Lindo e delicado trabalho!Adorei! bjs,chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada Chica, e muito obrigada pelo seu carinho.

      Um grande abraço

      Delete
  7. Olá Regina!
    Maravilhoso, pura delicadeza. Amei!
    Já me inscrevi no e-mail, para saber todas as novidades.
    Bjos, Mari.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada Mari, e é muito bom ter você aqui.

      Está tudo bem com você?

      Um grande abraço, e uma semana abençoada pra você.

      Delete
  8. Regina, something was missing in my blog - it was the frequent visits to your blog, for which I have so much affection. It is part of the history of my blog! Loved your new space - it is already recorded on Bloglovin. And this porcelain painting (I saw on Dani Moreno's blog), I found great. I have a scheduled trip to Europe and I will try to find these pens! Big hugs (and, as I said in the Casa dos Retalhos, I will try to communicate me in English here and will see what happens!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How nice to have you here Marion, and writing in English. Same here my dear, you are part of Casa de Retalhos history, and I'll never forget it.
      Where are you going to Europe? I'm going to England at the end of June. Have you been there? And you plan someday to come to America?
      Big hugs to you, too

      Delete
  9. Ficou lindo teu trabalho Regina... eu comprei canetas para porcelanas já há um longo tempo, sempre que encontro compro uma cor diferente, mas ainda não testei. Seu post me inspirou vou arregaçar as mangas depois te conto!

    Bjkinhas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada Claudee. Você não vai arrepender de fazer esse diy, é super legal, me diverti.

      Delete