MENU

September 12, 2014

Tomato, Mozzarella Couscous Salad

"What are we going to cook for dinner? Something easy and fresh from our garden?" Brady asked me when we got back home from Block Island.

"Couscous salad?" I asked him. And off he went to our small garden, coming back with some tomatoes - Roma and Big Boy, fresh basil, and scallions. I must say that for this recipe I only used the small roma tomatoes.

As much we enjoyed eating out on our vacation, we were craving homemade food, we were craving the fresh vegetables and herbs we planted this year.


Couscous is one of my favorite food to eat and I always keep it on my pantry. I thought it was a grain, but this is controversial, some foodies consider it actually a type of pasta. To me it does not matter if it's a grain, or pasta, I know it can be made from ground millet, or from ground semolina wheat and it's a good source of B vitamins, fiber and nutrients, and low in calories. It's hearty enough to fill you up, but still light so it doesn't feel heavy.

I always buy organic pre-steamed couscous, it requires no actual cooking, just soften it in boiling water, and in minutes it's ready to eat. Mix-and-match it with other ingredients like zucchini, cucumber, peas, asparagus, olives, shrimp, bell peppers, carrots, or whatever you have around.

This recipe is incredibly simple to make, it can be served immediately, or made ahead of time, and it's a good way to take advantage of fresh summer produce.


Tomato, Mozzarella Couscous Salad

♥ cooked couscous (cook according to package directions)
♥ tomatoes (preferably use small tomatoes, like cherry, grape, or small roma)
♥ mini mozzarella cheese balls
♥ basil
♥ scallions
♥ extra virgin olive oil
♥ salt

Cook the couscous according to package directions, and place it in a large bowl. Add all the other ingredients and toss very well. Taste and see if salad needs more salt, or olive oil.

It's not for nothing that couscous is one of our biggest choice for quick dinners. This salad was the perfect dinner solution!


Fresh from our garden 


20 comments :

  1. That's the kind of saladl that I'd love to prepare ! Thank you so much for the recipe!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Marcela for the visit & comment.

      Cheers.

      Delete
  2. I loved this post.
    Congratulation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que legal tê-la aqui Alessandra.

      Thank you, and cheers to you!

      Delete
  3. Great recipe. I love couscous! Your photos are beautiful, the light is gorgeous and the colors also. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Could to have you back here Angela.

      Thank you and have a beautiful Sunday.

      Delete
  4. Que delícia esta salada. Colorida e saudável!
    Regina, suas imagens estão perfeitas. Adoro!

    Bom domingo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada Ila. Minhas fotos estão melhores que antes, mas ainda não estão perfeitas, mas agradeço o incentivo Ila, suas fotos sim são maravilhosas.

      Beijos

      Delete
  5. A beautiful salad! So appetizing and scrumptious looking.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Çok güzel bir salata..Kuskusu çok severim..Ellerinize sağlık. Güliz

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you enjoyed your time away. I always enjoy my visits to your blog. Your recipes and pictures always look so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This salad looks so fresh, colourful and appetising. Your photos are wonderful. I especially like the last one which is like a picture! I love a tomato salad made with different varieties of tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so sweet dear Miss B, thank you very much!

      Delete
  9. Mmm delicious... my kind of salad!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete