MENU

October 24, 2014

Carrot and Coconut Milk Soup

It's been raining non-stop for a week now, so making soup seemed a good choice for a chilly night.

"Do you know what you are doing?" Brady asked me while I was gathering the ingredients to make our soup.

"What do you mean?" I replied, not sure I understood what he meant.

"In all the these years we've been together you've never made a creamy, smoothie soup, your soups, delicious I must say, are all about chunks of meat and vegetables".

I looked at him and said, "Well, maybe it's time to leave my comfort zone and try something new".

And that's exactly what I did, and I'm glad I did it. This soup is pure goodness, creamy, satisfying and flavorful.

Growing up I would grate coconut for my mother's cooking, needless to say that some would end up into my mouth, so much I like it. Coconut is present in a variety of sweet and savory dishes in Brazilian cuisine, but I must confess this was the first time I had it as a soup ingredient, and I absolutely loved it.


The sweetness of carrots, the creamy silk of coconut milk, and the citrus of lime make this soup a perfect healthful and earthy meal to enjoy on a fall evening. 


Carrot and Coconut Milk Soup
Serves 4

 10oz (284g) shredded carrots
♥ 200ml unsweetened whole coconut milk
♥ 1 tbsp (14 g) unsalted butter
♥ 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
♥ 1 onion, diced
♥ Scallion, finely chopped
♥ A few twigs of lemon thyme *
♥ 3 garlic cloves, minced
♥ 2 bay leaves
♥ 4 cups cold water
♥ Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
♥ 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
♥ Light cream, or plain yogurt, to serve 

* If you can't find lemon thyme, add lime zest to the vegetables as they cook.


In a large pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the olive oil, and then the onion, and cook until the onion is soft and translucent, about 4 to 5 minutes. Add the scallion and lemon thyme, cook stirring until fragrant. Add the garlic and cook for about 1 to 2 more minutes.

Add the carrots, cold water, and bay leaves. Season with sea salt and freshly ground pepper, and stir well to coat with mixture.

Bring mixture to a very low boil. Cover, reduce heat and simmer until carrots are soft.

Discard bay leaves and lemon thyme twigs, and transfer the mixture to a blender, or food processor; purée until smooth.

Return mixture to the pot and stir in the coconut milk. Reheat and check the seasoning for salt, and pepper.Stir in the lemon juice.

Serve hot with a generous swirl of light cream, or plain yogurt.

17 comments :

  1. Muito bom esse prato.,Sopas sempre caem bem! bjs, chica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. E essa sopa é deliciosa Chica, e fácil de fazer.

      Um grande abraço e uma ótima semana pra você.

      Delete
  2. Regina, querida!

    Me fascina a tua fotografia. As imagens estão simplesmente lindas. E a sopa deve estar uma delícia. Gosto de te ler, a tua escrita envolve - fico imaginando a sua conversa com Brady.

    Um post belíssimo!
    Obrigada, amiga, por me inspirar!

    Bom sábado!

    Beijo grande

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muito obrigada minha querida, suas palavras me fazem bem.

      Tenha uma ótima semana.

      Beijos

      Delete
  3. A wonderful soup and delightful combination!

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looking so delicious!!! and you images are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ayda, it's always so good to have you here.

      Delete
  5. Loved the soup bowl and the plate!! The soup must be very delicious with the addition of coconut milk.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Shibi, how have you been?

      You are right, the coconut milk makes the difference.

      Have a lovely day.

      Delete
  6. Looks so rich and delicious!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And it is my dear, you should give it a try.

      Have a lovely weekend.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. You should try it Paula, it's tasty, easy, and healthy, everything in one package :))

      Delete
  8. Ohh I can have some from that bowl right away!! Such tempting pictures and the recipe is a charmer.

    ReplyDelete