MENU

November 30, 2014

Sweet and fresh aromas for a happy Thanksgiving

I did not grow up celebrating Thanksgiving but I've learned to enjoy it as one of the most special American holidays.

I've spent Thanksgiving at Brady's family and friend's homes, and have enjoyed different and delicious meals.  The last couple of years, however, it's been just Brady and I, and we make sure it is as special as it should be.

We cook, we eat, we drink, we listen to music, and we eat again. Brady cooks the meal, I am the helper, setting the table nicely, arranging flowers and candles, taking photographs, and making the dessert, always a simple and sweet melt-in-the-mouth one. It feels cozy.

Mind you, our Thanksgiving menu perhaps is not a traditional one, but it's comfort and good food, and we get excited about cooking together.


This year, our meal had aromas of chopped pecans, brown sugar, vanilla, lots of garlic, fresh rosemary and cranberries, and it was beautifully colorful.

We had rosemary & garlic roast, that was marinated the evening before with salt, minced & whole garlic, pepper and rosemary springs. The next day it was cooked with baby potatoes, carrots and celery for about 2 1/2 hours. It was so flavorful and tender, and I ended up eating more meat than I am accustomed to.

For the first time, instead of white mashed potatoes, we had baked sweet mashed potatoes topped with a pecan, vanilla, brown sugar and butter crust,  and I wondered why I had never eaten it before.


What can I say about the cranberry sauce we had? It was the first time I had homemade cranberry sauce, do you believe that? Maybe that's the reason I did not like it before. Fresh organic cranberries, the sweetness of freshly squeezed orange juice, some sugar, perfect consistency and texture. It is most likely we will be making it again, and again, so delicious it was.


Coconut and pineapple custard topped with homemade meringue. I could not imagine a simpler dessert, and yet so delicious. Unfortunately, I forgot to take some pictures for the blog, bummer!
I apologize. I'll share the recipe with photos soon. I promise.

26 comments :

  1. Mouthwatering indeed! Your photos and descriptions are fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Linda, I'm glad you like it.

      Delete
  2. Foi um lindo dia pra celebrar e agradecer! Belos pratos! bjs, tudo de bom, lindo DEZEMBRO! chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olá, minha querida, bom dia!
    Estou aqui só suspirando diante toda essa mesa deliciosa... O assado está maravilhoso,a combinacao dos tempero, perfeita. E esse molho de cranberry, que delícia deve ter ficado! Com certeza,foi dia muito especial e feliz!
    Uma semana abençoada e muito feliz, beijinhos, Katia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oi Katia, atrasada nos meus comentarios, rsrsrs Vida agitada por aqui. Foi realmente um dia muito especial...

      Tenha uma otima semana.

      Delete
  4. Hepsi birbirinden leziz görünüyor. Fotoğraflar yine süper..sevgiler..

    ReplyDelete
  5. por aqui não celebramos o dia de ação de graças, mas acho que deveríamos. gosto tanto da ideia de agradecermos por tudo a quilo que temos e que por vezes não damos valor!
    um beijinho muito especial para ti, sempre tão simpática comigo Regina, será que se enviasse umas bolachinhas chegariam até aí? acho que vou tentar, vou procurar o email que me enviaste com a tua morada...depois confirmo!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que bom receber voce aqui MJ, é sempre um prazer enorme. Voce faz parte do grupo de mulheres que conheci no mundo virtual cuja amizade eu valorizo e considero especial.

      Sera que mereco bolachinhas portuguesas feitas com carinho por voce? Nao gostaria que tivesse todo esse trabalho mas ficaria imensamente feliz e comovida :))



      Delete
  6. I can almost smell the aromas which you described so well and the sweet potatoes sound and look absolutely delicious. We made our own cranberry sauce last Christmas for the first time and we will do the same this year too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, I like your comment a lot, you are very sweet.

      Delete
  7. Fabulous food! So comforting and scrumptious.

    Cheers,

    Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mmmmm the food looks really delicious!

    http://beautyfollower.blogspot.gr

    ReplyDelete
  9. Uau.... Que delicia! Qdo vier aqui vai ter que repetir esta receita! 😘 Tati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So se for pra cozinhar em sua cozinha nova, rsrsrs.

      Delete
    2. Vem sim!!! Eu não sei como vou me virar na cozinha nova.... Rsrsrs

      Delete
  10. Huuummm.... Deu água na boca!
    Parabéns!!! Tati

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Voce de novo? rsrsrs

      Parabens para o Brady que cozinhou.

      Beijinhos

      Delete
    2. Viu como sou assidua!? 😉

      Delete
  11. I love it! I want a Thanksgiving once again :( ! I just read your comment on my blog. Why can't you see EN version? Is it loading for too long?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marcela.

      ps.: I'm going to leave a comment @ your blog about the EG version.

      Delete
  12. Glad you had a wonderful Thanksgiving, Regina! Everything looks so delicious. I've always wanted to try making my own cranberry sauce.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Brandi. Well, you should try and make your own cranberry sauce, it's really worthwhile, it's very good.

      Delete