MENU

March 7, 2015

Fish & Coconut Milk Stew - Moqueca de Peixe

Moqueca de Peixe is a traditional Brazilian seafood stew, basically is a mixture of fish, coconut milk, cilantro, tomatoes, onion, garlic, and  it is cooked slowly, with no water added. Two ingredients are essential to the authenticity of this dish - coconut milk and cilantro.


The original recipe is on the spicy side, and use a specific oil, dendê oil, which is palm oil. I don't like spicy, and dendê oil is too strong for me, so I adapted it to my taste. After all that's how it should be, right? I mean, if it's not baking, recipes should be adapted to one's taste. If it asks for 2 garlic cloves, but you love garlic, so be it, add as many cloves as you want. Don't you agree?

Very simple, easy to make, fresh and delicious. It balances taste and texture. The kind of recipe you like to have when you are short of time and want a hearty and elegant meal.

This recipe is a favorite. Hopefully, you will like it as much as Brady and I do.



Fish & Coconut Milk Stew - Moqueca de Peixe

Whenever I cook fish, and chicken, the first thing I do is to wash them under running water, pat them dry, and season with salt, garlic powder, freshly squeezed lime, or lemon juice, and set them aside.

 2 lbs fresh cod fillet, or tilapia
 1 1/2 cup coconut milk
♥ 1 freshly squeezed lime juice
♥ 7 garlic gloves, minced
♥ 3 tbsp olive oil
♥ 1 onion, finely sliced
♥ 1 small red bell pepper, finely sliced
♥ 3 tomatoes, chopped
♥ fresh cilantro, plenty
♥ salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

Toss fish, some garlic, lime juice, and salt in a bowl and set aside.

Heat olive oil over medium heat. Add onion, remaining garlic, bell pepper, and sauté for a few minutes until fragrant and the onions are softened.

Add the chopped tomatoes, salt and freshly ground black pepper. Stirring occasionally, cook until the mixture thicken.

Add the fish to the pan. Stir in cilantro and coconut milk.
Bring the stew to a simmer, cover and cook for about 10 minutes, until the fish easily flakes apart.

Enjoy it with white rice on the side.

Note: Usually I use olive oil to cook this meal, but this time I experimented it with roasted hazelnut oil from Trader Joe's, a flavorful addition to this meal.


9 comments :

  1. Oi,Regina!
    Que linda ficou a tua moqueca! Parece muito saborosa e a apresentação ficou maravilhosa. ...Quase deu para sentir o aroma delicioso! Também não costumo usar o dendê,concordo com você, é um pouco forte demais para mim....
    Querida, tenha um domingo lindo e um beijinho pelo Dia Internacional da Mulher, Katia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very tasty and appetizing look:) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do agree, Regina. That's one of the reasons why I prefer cooking to baking. I always feel baking is not easy to change ingredients to suit one's taste where cooking is and I LOVE garlic, lol...

    Your fish stew looks and sounds delcious. I just made cod for dinner Friday. I sure wish I would have seen this stew. I think I better Pin it for the next time I have some fresh cod in the house!

    Thank you so much for sharing, Regina...

    ReplyDelete
  4. De dar água na boca. Uma linda e abençoada semana para você.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Regina!
    Your fish stew is gorgeous! I am so hungry right now ;)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your all images are just amazingly wonderful!
    Of course I love also recipe :)))
    Lots of love dear Regina...

    ReplyDelete

  7. É um dos pratos típicos da minha região... "Moqueca capixaba" amo! E daqui há alguns dias é a vez da famosa "torta capixaba" para a Semana Santa. Bj

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can never say no to a good stew. This sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete