MENU

March 2, 2016

Brighten up your home with this simple DIY Floral Centerpiece

When it comes to floral centerpiece prices vary drastically, and the prettiest and most original ones are definitely the most expensive, so if you want a budget friendly inspiration for your table, here is the perfect idea. This sweet and bright floral centerpiece will dress up any table and make any guess to feel welcome into your home.


My niece Fabiana, who lives in Ithaca, NY, came to visit us this weekend. It's always such a joy when she spends a few days with us.

I went to a grocery store to buy some ingredients to make a sweet and nutritious carrot and coconut milk soup, and flowers, naturally, to welcome her. When I saw some beautiful flower pots I felt like buying all of them, so bright and cheerful they were, more specifically the primroses, they reminded me of Fabiana, she loves all shades of pink and purple.


I had never made a flower arrangement using potted flowers before but the lovely primroses seemed the perfect flowers to create an eye-catching arrangement.

I decided to buy three pots but no extra supplies to make my first potted flower arrangement, I wanted to make something creative and simple using what I already had at home.


You'll need:
  • basket
  • potting soil
  • heavy plastic
  • moss filler (I used two kind of mosses)
  • potted flowers
How to:
  • Soak the flowers pots in a tub of water for a while just to make sure they are well hydrated.
  • Primroses have bushy-like leaves, if I had kept all their leaves they would have filled the entire basket and the mosses would be barely exposed, and I wanted their texture and color exposed, so the first thing I did was to cut some of their leaves.
  • Waterproof the basket by lining it with heavy plastic. (I cut the handles of a grocery plastic bag, folded it in half and placed it on the basket bottom; then I covered the bottom and sides with kitchen plastic wrap, cutting off excess around the top edge of the basket.)
  • Before start placing the flowers in the basket squeeze excess water. Fill in with more soil, if needed.
  • Use moss to cover any exposed dirt.

How to care for it:
  • Keep it away from direct sunlight.
  • Mist the flowers and moss with water from a spray bottle daily.
I made this floral arrangement on Friday afternoon and today, Wednesday, it still looks fresh and cheerful

Once they start looking faded, I will transferred them back to their pots until the weather is good enough to replant them outside. It's a win-win situation.



"Look at these colors!" She said as she entered our dining area. She was right to notice them, they look really pretty, don't you think?


8 comments :

  1. They look beautiful!! I am a bit scared of plants for I seem to kill them when they are under my care. The poor things. Although I still have a small plant my husband gave last year for Valentine's Day. Very pretty colors and indeed a creative idea. You are very talented Regina!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you dear Angela, you are always so kind.

      I've been away visiting my family and now I'm back and hope have time to visit my online friends.

      Beijos

      Delete
  2. A really stunning and beautiful centrepiece Regina, I shall definitely be trying this one out in summer...hhhmm or maybe even this Easter! The best of all is that you can replant them in the garden. Our weather is simply awful at the moment, cold, grey, very windy and rain! Hugs for a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is so simple and it does look good, this centerpiece lasted about 3 weeks, and looking good.

      ps.: the weather here is Connecticut is awful, snow, cold, windy :((

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm really glad you love it, and you should try to make one, it's simple and fun to make :)

      Take care

      Delete
  4. What a gorgeous centerpiece! Having an audience is icing on the cake. I am particularly fond of the moss you used. I would love to have just a big bowl of it all by itself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much Ginny. The green moss I found in a TJMaxx store, do you know this store?

      Take care, and thank you for the visit :)

      Delete