MENU

July 15, 2016

Zucchini Blossoms


They are one of the season's fleeting delight offerings and I can't believe I had never heard of them before. I'm talking about zucchini blossoms.
This year, Brady added two more beds to his vegetable garden, and at this point, zucchinis have been the kings of it, blooming with flowers.


One day after work Brady was outside watering the garden while I was cooking our dinner, and thinking about the beautiful zucchini flowers I wonder if we could eat them. I checked online and to my surprise learned that these delicate flowers are a delicacy. How could I have not known about it before?


I was intrigued by these yellow flowers, and now that I had them in my backyard I wanted to cook them.

I learned that typically they are deep-fried, but I did not want to make a mess in the kitchen, so I decided I would bake them, and in my head I already knew I was going to use some fresh herbs from my garden and make a simple and aromatic filling


I was thrilled. I had never cooked them before, and after looking for some recipes I decided to use rosemary and thyme with goat cheese to stuff the blossoms.


Zucchini blossoms are delicate flowers and they must be picked right before cooking them otherwise they wilt quickly.

According to this site, "many cooks remove the pistils from female flowers, and stamens from male flowers, although both of them are edible and have flavor. The male stamen contains the pollen". Yes, zucchini flowers have a sex life. 
For this recipe I used only male flowers and I removed the stamens.


Baked Zucchini Blossoms with Goat Cheese Filling

 6 zucchini blossoms
♥ 100 grs goat cheese
♥ 1 tbsp rosemary, chopped
♥ 1 tbsp thyme, chopped
♥ freshly ground black pepper, to taste
♥ salt, to taste (I used pink salt)

Preparation: Preheat oven to 320F. Line a baking tray with baking paper, or foil.

Mix together the goat cheese and the fresh herbs. Season with salt and pepper.

Carefully open the blossoms, stuff them with the mixture, and twist the top of the blossoms to seal in the filling.

Place the blossoms on the tray and drizzle them with olive oil - turn and roll them to cover them all over.

Bake for about 15 minutes (+/-) until they are crisp and tender.

♥ ♥ 

I served them with tricolor quinoa. A healthy and light lunch meal.

The blossoms did not make the nicest good-looking dish at all, but honestly, they were totally delicious!



5 comments :

  1. Hello dear Regina, I know about eating zucchini flowers and I have actually eaten them fried and filled with a creamy cheese to. They are such beautiful flowers and I absolutely love zucchini it's a favourite vegetable of mine, even just using the pretty flowers without cooking would be beautiful on a plate. Hope you enjoyed your zucchini flowers! Hugs xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cara Regina
    Apesar do visual estar muito apetitoso, acho que não comeria flores de abobrinha, já estive em restaurantes cujos pratos vinham com flores comestíveis, mas eu preferi deixá-las de lado.
    Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Olá Regina, estou encantada, não sabia que estas flores são comestíveis e imagino que a receita deve ter ficado deliciosa. A credito que certas pessoas, por falta de costume, fiquem reticentes em comerem flores, mas também acredito, que servido primorosamente, da forma que vc fez, essa resistência, desapareceria. Minha experiência com flores na comida, resumiu-se a amores perfeitos, que comprei num supermercado gourmet e acrescentei numa salada. Resultou numa linda salada florida. Mas aqui em Portugal estes produtos são dificeis de se encontrar, infelizmente. beijos, Regina, suas fotos fazem tão, mas tão bem aos olhos!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sempre planto abobrinhas e nunca soube o momento certo de colher às flores... li o livro Mil dias na Toscana e a autora descreve muito bem como fazê-las, aqui na pratica... não deu certo! Acho que não as colhi assim que dezabrocharam... Seu blog continua sendo a minha inspiração, beijos e uma boa semana!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello sweet Regina! I wanted to thank you for visiting my blog the other day...your comment was such a joy to read :)

    My, what a lovely blog you have! I could spend hours here looking at your photography as it's truly stunning.

    Hugs to you, dear one!

    ReplyDelete