MENU

November 20, 2016

Sharing some Autumn scenes and a Creamy Garlic Gratin Potatoes recipe


I could hear the wind blowing outside and the rain hitting up against my bedroom windows. The rain later turned into snow, a light steady snow... It was about 5:30am, and I got up.
It is still Fall, well technically but not actually, because it is cold outside today!

Today is the antithesis of the week we had. Yesterday, specially, the weather was gorgeous, sunny, blue sky, warm, so warm I opened some windows to let the fresh air in.



I had planned to make creamy garlic gratin potatoes for dinner. Also a shrimp salad. Everything delicious, simple and easy to make. Just the way I like to cook.

So I went out to buy a few of the ingredients, but I could not resist, I took my camera with me and before hitting the market I went for a stroll in the neighborhood. What a glorious day!





Some of these photos were not taken yesterday but throughout Autumn.








Back home I felt reinvigorate and more than happy to make this flavorful and mouthwatering recipe.




Creamy Garlic Gratin Potatoes

♥ 2 1/2 pounds white potatoes, thinly sliced
♥ 1 1/2 cup whole milk
♥ 1 1/2 cup heavy cream
♥ 4 cloves garlic, minced
♥ 3 1/2 cups of parmigiano-Reggiano, grated
♥ Fresh thyme springs, to taste
♥ Salt & pepper, to taste
♥ Soft butter to rub the baking dish

Preheat oven to 350F. Rub the butter all over the inside of a baking dish, set aside.

Add water and salt to a cook pan, bring water to boiling. Meanwhile, peel the potatoes and slice them thinly; I use a mandolin to achieve the same thickness.

Place the potatoes in the boiling water and cook them until almost tender, do not cook them all the way through, this process is to speed up the baking time.

Heat together the milk, heavy cream, garlic, thyme and salt in a pot until it starts to boil and slightly thicken.

Place a layer of the (semi-cooked) potato slices in even rows on the bottom of a baking dish. Pour some of the cream mixture, and sprinkle some of the grated cheese. Repeat the same steps two more times.

Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender and the top is browned. Since potatoes cook at different rates depending on size and type, use a fork or a skewer to check them for doneness.





This vivid Autumn sky took my breath away.



4 comments :

  1. Regina as fotos estão incríveis!
    O Outono é, definitivamente uma estação gloriosa, ainda mais quando se vive num local tão perfeito.

    Gostei muito das batatas gratinadas, um acompanhamento delicioso para qualquer prato.
    Beijinhos

    ReplyDelete
  2. que lindo Outono por aí. Aqui em Lisboa tb tenho tirado fotos fantásticas. O outono é lindo. Pena é o frio que se avizinha. Não gosto de frio. Bjo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Regina,

    What beautiful fall pictures! I do miss the colors up North but don't miss the cold at all. And what a sinful recipie ;-) Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Autumn is pure magic...as is this post :)

    I hope you have a Merry Christmas :)

    ReplyDelete