MENU

December 21, 2016

Random thoughts and the Cutest DIY Christmas Ornament


Soon it will be the 25th of December... presents bought, cards written, Christmas decor everywhere, lots of mouthwatering dishes planned... but where is the spirit, the meaning of Christmas?

I believe it's there somewhere, in the heart of some people, but mostly what we see is an overwhelming commercialization of Christmas. Even the ones who were not raised christians get in the Christmas-themed frenzy.

Family traditions give me a feeling of belonging, they keep me close to my family and to my roots, and I cherish valuable memories with my family created over the years.
Christmas is a family tradition, so to me it's a time to be together with them, but my family is not here, they are way too far from here. My husband's family is small compared to mine, and it's almost gone, or far away as well. Mind you, we keep our family traditions even when is just the two of us.

However, my niece, who is finishing her Ph.D. at Cornell University and is the only member of my family living in America, will spend Christmas with us this year, and on Christmas day we all are going to NYC to see The Rockettes' Christmas Spetacular. One more Christmas memory to cherish.


This year, I didn't feel like posting any of my Christmas decorations, or talk about the menu I've chosen, or posting some Christmas diy, too many things out there... Nonetheless, this morning, I had a change of heart and felt like sharing this simple & cute diy Christmas ornament. The first time I made it was four years ago, but this is the first diy of it. I think it's still a fresh idea - little angels made from cupcake cups, or cupcake cups turned into little angels.

Paper Angel Christmas Ornament

You'll need:

  • cupcake cups in different motifs & colors
  • styrofoam balls and/or felt balls for craft
  • glue stick
  • regular & edging scissors
  • embroidery thread
  • needle
  • beads
  • embellishments (optional)

How to:



Tips:

  • Do not glue the bottom of the body, only the sides, the needle with the thread should be push up from the bottom to the top so the little ball can be attached to the body, besides leaving it unglued gives the body some volume.
  • Attaching a bead, or a few beads, on top of the ball gives weight to the paper angel and adds a nice touch to it.
  • Using the edging scissors to trim the wings gives them a nice finishing.
  • Adding some embellishment to the dress and wings make them look more festive.

This cute and fun to make diy is perfect not only to be hung on a Christmas tree but also as a gift tag to decorate any package, don't you agree? Any other ideas on how to decorate with them?



I must confess I'm pretty happy with myself. The last time I went to a mall was in October. I did not buy any Christmas decoration, or paper wraps, even Christmas cards I did not buy. I'm using what I already have, tweaking them here and there, just being creative, and the few gifts I bought are from some local stores, small tokens of friendship and love.


I wish you all a lovely Christmas celebration. Love and Peace.

8 comments :

  1. Fica lindo e dá um toque bem especial! FELIZ NATAL! bjs, chica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Olá Regina, fico sempre encantada com suas fotos, transmitem tanta paz e com seus DIY, singelos e lindos! Anjinhos tão delicados. Meu desejo é que passe umas festas felizes em tranquilidade e acompanhada dos que mais ama, muitos ou poucos, não importa! Abraço.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lindo, Regina! Você é sempre tão prendada! Um Natal muito feliz para si e para quem a acompanhar. Beijos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know exactly how you feel Regina, it's hard to keep festive when you are a small family, but I feel this is when you really need to keep creative and even if you are a few of you, get together and celebrate! We are also only 5 this year but I am still going to make it as special as I can. Festive greetings to you my friend wishing you a wonderful day on the 25th! Sharon x

    ReplyDelete
  5. The little angels are adorable! You are very creative and artistic Regina. The gift looks so pretty, the packing looks marvelous. Hope you have a great Christmas time with your family. We had a nice time here at home. Hugs and wishing a marvelous new year in 2017 for your and family!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Regina,
    I simply adore your little angels. They looked great as ornaments and as gift decorations. Smart! It is so appropriate that you made angels this Christmas. Inspite of all the commercialization, angels do exist. You've been an angel to me during my tough transition out of work and move to Florida. You encouraged me through many kind words and picked me up when I was down. Thanks for being there and for being part of my extended family. Hopefully next year I can join you when you visit NYC.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oi Regina, vim desejar um FELIZ 2017 A VC. E FAMÍLIA, QUE SEJA UM ANO DE PAZ, SAÚDE, AMOR E MUITAS REALIZAÇÕES.

    Peço muita PAZ E DISCERNIMENTO AS PESSOAS P/ ESTE NOVO ANO NO MUNDO!!!

    Bjs.

    Audeni

    ReplyDelete
  8. We're way past Christmas but I'm loving this! x

    Jessica — NinetyCo 

    ReplyDelete