MENU

January 22, 2017

First snow and a hearty, warming potato & apple soup


I woke up to a white and silent world, the first snow storm of the season had fallen throughout the night, and was still falling.
What is there not to like when a blanket of  fluffy white snow covers the entire landscape? Shoveling, gray skies, slippery and icy roads, bitter cold... I don't like winter in the northeast, it lasts for so long! But when the first snow falls, ah, it's simply magical!

"Let's go for a ride?", I asked Brady. He looked back at me, and said: "Are you sure, it's very cold outside and you can't stand cold."

"I'm sure, let's drive through some country roads nearby, we can always stop at the Bridgewater Village Store and have some hot chocolate." I said, already imagining the creamy sweetness waiting for us at the store.


As I stepped outside the car to take some pictures, the cold hit me like it was the first time I was experiencing the northern winter, even though I've been living here for so many years. My intention of taking some pretty photos ended up short, soon I was ready to drive back home, thinking of preparing a nourishing soup for us.


"Apple soup? That's pretty unusual." Brady said as I asked him to help me peel some apples and potatoes for the soup I started preparing as soon as we got back home.

"Yes, right. I just feel like trying something different. You know me, I love making soups using whatever I can find in the kitchen.

This is rich, cold-weather winner soup, and couldn't be easier. It has the perfect balance of creamy, sweet and savory.

I can not tell you how delicious it is, you'll just have to trust me until you try it yourself.

Potato and Apple Soup
Serves 6

 4 large peeled, diced russet potatoes
 3 peeled, cored, chopped fuji apples (or gala)
♥ 2 large diced onions
♥ 2 1/2 cups milk
♥ 2 1/2 cups heavy creamy
♥ 1 1/2 (about) tbsp butter
♥ nutmeg, to taste
♥ freshly ground pepper & salt, to taste
♥ french baguette, sliced
grated parmesan cheese (or gruyere)

Boil the potatoes in salt water until they are tender. Drain well and mash them using a masher.

Meanwhile, mealt the butter over medium heat. Add the onions, cooking them for about 5 minutes. Add the diced apples cooking them until tender. Stir in the milk and the heavy milk and heat through. Add the mashed potatoes to the mixture. Season with nutmeg, pepper and salt to taste. Simmer covered for about 15 minutes.

Place bread slices on a baking sheet and broil for about 1 minute.
Ladle soup into oven-proff bowls leaving 1 inch to the lip. Place bread slices, toasted side down, on top of soup and top with grated cheese. Broil until cheese is bubbly and golden.

6 comments :

  1. It's looking so good! x

    Jessica — NinetyCo 

    ReplyDelete
  2. Que lindas tuas fotos e essa sopa deve ser ótima! bjs, tudo de bom,chica

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks so tasty... yummy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful pictures and a sinful recipe! Real comfort food ;-) I get excited too with the first sight of snow. To be honest, I do miss it (though I'll never admit it. hahaha). Stay warm and bright my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am with you there, I love the snow and can tolerate some cold but I think the Winter around here is just too long and the temps go down too much. When I came to the U.S. (many years ago.) We lived in Iowa which is cold but now we live in North Dakota and this is colder. There is ice all around, I hate walking in ice. I have however adapted and try to enjoy for too hot of a weather like Northeast Brazil isn't fun either. Thank you for the soup recipe Regina and take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Regina, such lovely photos! That snow looks so cold but magical at the same time. We've had no snow down south this year, it's been cold but nothing like where you live. Cooking and baking is such a satisfactory feeling isn't it? Hugs Sharon x

    ReplyDelete