MENU

August 14, 2017

Flower arranging in the garden


It's been quite some time since I last wrote a post, over six months precisely. I'm glad to be back here.

But... what happens when you are trying to become a blogger again and you are having vision problems? When changes in Life are not beneficial do you stop doing things you love and become a grouch and angry person, or do you accept that we are all affected by the constant changes in nature and try and find new ways of doing what you love?

I've chosen to find the good in Life and make whatever adjustments are necessary to continue a fulfilling journey, sometimes frustrated, sometimes sad, sometimes angry, but more flexible, learning to go with the flow, and accepting the ups and down of this crazy Life.

The love for photography came late in my Life, digital photography does not come easy for me, and having eyesight problems at this point make it more difficult to take focused photos, right? Well, but here I am sharing the latest photos I took when I had the opportunity to attend a flower arranging in the garden workshop at the beautiful Hollister House Garden in the rolling hills of Litchfield County.




The workshop was led by Debbie Brown. We met at the gorgeous  Hollister House Garden's barn for a short lecture on the techniques to cut and condition flowers, the use of color, texture and scale to create natural and long-lasting arrangements and bouquets; followed by a walk through the garden to collect some foliage (Debbie and her team brought flowers from their gardens), and finally hands on creating our own displays.




Usually, I do not use flowers from my own garden to make my flower arrangements. My garden is not big enough to cut some flowers and still have a decent garden, but little by little I've been planting more flowers, and I believe by next year I'll have enough flowers in the backyard to use some of my them for my flower arrangements, so it was important to learn how to condition them, something I didn't have a clue before.

I don't have any formal education in gardening, I don't even know the names of so many flowers, my approach to flower gardening has been always from the heart, being spontaneous, driven by my instinct, and surprisingly to me, some of the techniques taught at the workshop to keep cut flowers fresh and have them last longer are steps I take naturally, like removing any foliage that might be submerged in the water, recut stems in an angle, and change the water daily.
It felt good to know that instinctively I've been doing it right.




If you have read some of my playing with flowers posts, you know my flower arrangements keep changing, I never waste a single flower. When some break or die, a new flower display is created.

Some flower stems from the arrangement I made at the workshop broke while I was driving back home, so I put together a new flower display - simple and cute - perfect to be placed on my craft room shelf.
Techniques, tricks and tips are very important, but never forget to follow your instincts and enjoy when playing with flowers.




Soon I'll be sharing with you some of the basic guidelines I've learned at the workshop. I couldn't be happier to have attended it, Debbie and her team are knowledgeable and helpful, the staff at HHG is welcoming and warm, the setting is glorious, the information plentiful and the hands-on practice truly invaluable.

7 comments :

  1. Olá Regina, suas fotos são sempre lindas. Além de tecnicamente bem tiradas, revelam uma sensibilidade ímpar! Os arranjos estão belos. Beijo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am right there with you with vision problems. My issues has to do with dry eyes which were brought on by insomnia in the last 7-9 months and also blood pressure medicine that was started last Feb. Like you I continue to go ahead and do the best I can with the situation I have. I too love flowers Regina and have not got better information on arranging or caring for them once cut. I do the preps like removing foliage and cut the stems in an angle like you also do. Those flowers are gorgeous! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Regina,

    Beautiful shots my friend! I love them !! So nice to see your new post. Glad you decided to start blogging again.

    I am very sorry to hear that you are having vision challenges. Certainly hope it is something that can be corrected in time. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Life is full of surprises. And you have a wonderful attitude. As usual, there is so much I learn from you. I succomb to defeat too easily ...

    I am horrible with names too. When I was in college, I really wanted to study biology. But I just can't remember any of the latin names and classifications. It was dreadful. Now they are just pink, red, yellow flowers. LOL.

    Looking forward to your next post. Hang in there.
    Ginny

    ReplyDelete